Saturday, 14 June 2008

Off to the Bed Races

Today we found ourselves at the Knaresborough Bed Races. About 30 teams made "beds" that they pushed on a course around Knaresborough, a small village by us. The bed had to be able to float or at least be pushed through water as they had to ford a river right near the finish line. There are 6 pushers and one person, I think it is supposed to be an older child, sitting on the "bed". The little town was packed and so once you picked a place to watch the race, you pretty much stuck with it, so we didn't actually see any of the river crossings. We did hear the announcer telling us when teams had capsized. Dave got some great shots and all of his pictures are here. With any event in England, there was a lot of beer for those who like that sort of thing, and ever changing weather. For the majority of the time it was sunny and warm but there were unpredictable moments of wind and rain. The team above was the far and away winner, they looked like they were sprinting the whole thing.

Here is one of several all-female teams. These ladies were good, they were in the top 5 or 10 - Go Girls.
There were a few near misses as teams met on small, hilly roads. Before, after and during the race there were rides, moon bounces, food and drink stalls, and plenty to keep you spending your money. Here are some pictures of the kids loving life.

5 comments:

Christina said...

So do you and Dave have your bed design for next year's race yet?

jeans said...

I think I want some more details on how this thing got started. I will google it, but before I do, my imagination is running wild. Let's see... it had something to do with a sick child in a hospital bed, who had to ford the river to get the medicine... kind of like the Iditarod, plus Bedknobs and Broomsticks all in one. Right?

I liked Dave's pix, esp of Enoch whacking the tree.

Shells said...

I would love to do it one year, but I doubt I could get 5 other people and 1 kid on board. Dave would prefer being the official photographer, or after run meal coordinator.

Disco Mom said...

How do you find something amazing like this to do every single weekend? Do they pass around a calendar at work? I think it has Biblical origins, remember the man with the palsy who was lowered through a roof on a bed by his friends? They probably ran him there. I think Younces or Hangens have their reunion family meeting night taken care of now - either the history of it or instructions on building one. Maybe we could make a human one.

erin said...

That is funny, I have never heard of a race carrying a bed..I bet that was fun to watch.
Looks like you guys are really enjoying England.