Our third weekend trip in March was to Bruges, Belgium. I had planned this months ago, and was really excited to visit the "Venice of the North". Not everything went smoothly, here are some lessons learned:
1) DO NOT forget that you are in fact going to a foreign country, you do need to pack your passports or you will have to make a side trip on your way out of town....
2) DO NOT buy a Bruges guidebook on the P&O Ferry, no matter how current it says it is
3) DO NOT plan any excursions/meals based on said book, you will waste your day walking to things that are no longer in business
4) DO NOT eat mussels at one of the restaurants on the main square, even if you have been looking for restaurants that don't exist and you are starving, you WILL be sick for the next 36 hours
5) DO NOT walk all the way across town to the kids park BEFORE making the kids go to the toilet, otherwise, you will waste an hour as you backtrack to the public toilets across town.
6) DO go on a sunny weekend, all of our bad luck could not discount the beautiful scenery surrounding us
7) DO take time to go to each and every chocolate shop that calls to you, we ended up running out of time and getting sub-par chocolate at a sub-par store. Hey, it is still Belgian chocolate, so it isn't bad, just not as awesome as it could have been.
8) DO take a lot of pictures of our cute kids, if they happen to be with you.
3 comments:
I just bought myself the same book Hilde is holding. It was my Christmas present to me and I'm still in love with it.
The kids love looking up everything, it was a great purchase.
Katy - I know! It's totally amazing - I had heard about it from someone or somewhere and as soon as I remembered that while in front of a computer I went straight to Amazon and ordered it. It has not disappointed!
Post a Comment