A few things we have picked up already are listed below and I'll add to this list over time. You probably already know a lot of them:
US = English equivalent
Rain Boots = Wellies
Sprite/7Up = Lemonade
Any type of dessert = Pudding
Couch = Settee
Chips = French Fries
Trashcan = Bin
Underwear = Pants
Pants = Trousers
Ketchup = Tomato Sauce (and it is much sweeter here)
Stroller = Pushchair
Cookies = Biscuits
Weed Wacker = Strimmer
Potato Chips = Crisps
Traffic Circle = Roundabout
Lollipop = Lolli
Popsicle = Iced Lolli
Sweater = Jumper
Sidewalk = Pavement
Exits (onramps & Offramps) = Sliproads
Shoulder of a road = Verge
5 comments:
Cool! New ones I didn't know!
I love the word Wellies. Goes right along with Mac and bumbershoot as odd things to put on/use when it's raining.
I also remember Biro for pen, lorry for a big truck and face flannel for washcloth. Also nappies for diapers. Rock is a kind of hard candy.
These are so fun. Do you also put "rubbish" in the bin? The Turks use biscuvi for cookie- I guess from the British. How can one make ketchup sweeter than the Americans?? Yikes.
I didn't believe Dave when he told me the ketchup was sweeter, but he was right. It has a very high concentration of sugar or sugar substitute.
Thanks, I'll have lemonade, chips and an iced lolli. Lovely. What do they call real lemonade? I need to know so Dave and I can still make "the uzh"
Post a Comment