Monday, 7 November 2011

Acropolis of Lindos

 From our guide book:  "Spectacularly perched atop a 116m-high rock is the Acropolis.  It's a strenuous 10 minute climb to the well-signposted entrance gate." (And let me add here, the climb continues well after the entrance!)  "The 4th-century Temple to Athena is the site's most important ancient ruin.  Athena was worshipped on Lindos as early as the 10th century BC, and this temple has replaced earlier ones on the site."  In addition to the temple, there were Hellenistic ruins and ruins of a Byzantine church.  A whole lot of history placed in one spot.  Mostly our kids remember that it was really hot.  You can see our red faces and some glistening foreheads.  We might have picked the hottest day we were there to visit the Acropolis.  It was really fantastic, and the views were absolutely breathtaking.  I am going to let the pictures speak for themselves.

















2 comments:

Janet said...

I agree--I loved Rhodes! The old medieval part of the main city with its crocodile waterspouts and buildings from the Templar Knights was fascinating--but you had a lot of medieval stuff in England. It is so cool that you rented a villa there. I would love to just relax on a Greek Isle.

The temple at Lindos does have an amazing view. I cheated and rode a donkey part of the way up. (Actually, it was fun for me--probably not the donkey). I was told that they filmed the exciting climb in the old movie about WW2 "The Guns of Navarone" using the steep cliffs of Lindos.

Thanks for sharing all your adventures. I hope life in Virginia doesn't disappoint you.

Shells said...

Janet - did you go to Greece as part of a cruise or tour? We saw a lot of tour buses make their way to the Acropolis. We didn't do the donkeys since we had more kids than adults and I was pregnant, but it was definitely tempting on such a hot day!