Wednesday, 11 September 2013

Summer Fun Club - Suncatchers and Sweet Frog

For our third summer fun club, we got out suncatchers and decorated them.  They were a lot of fun, but pretty messy.  The kids each made two, showcasing their creativity.  All in all, easy and fun.

The second part of summer fun club was a complete disaster.  I decided to take the kids to our local Sweet Frog Frozen Yogurt place.  I had taken the older kids there once before after a Swim Meet, and not surprisingly they loved it.

We went inside and everyone made their selections and got their toppings.  While I was paying, the kids went to grab a table.  I heard a thud, a scream and all of the other patrons gasp.  I turned around to find Phinn spread eagle on the ground, shrieking in pain.  He got up and it was clear that he had fallen head first into the corner of a hard plastic chair.  A goose egg the size of a real goose egg was pushing out a least an inch from his forehead.  It looked awful and was getting worse by the second.  Everyone jumped up to help me.  Sweet Frog had no ice, they sent runners to establishments nearby who also had no ice.  Some nice folks helped me get all the kids to the car and we dashed home.

I called Dave who was already home and he prepared a space and supplies for operation "avoid a trip to the emergency room".  By the time we got home the goose egg had split in a straight line, and blood was trickling out.  I had expected a whole lot more blood, but we were lucky.  He probably could have used stitches, but we used liquid bandage and butterfly bandages to put him back together.  Lots of ice, love and hugs and eventually he was feeling better.

Al the frozen yogurt went to waste.  The older kids were too traumatized and worried about Phinn to eat anything, and Phinn's went untouched until it was completely melted.  It might be a few years before I am ready to go back!

No comments: